GCC Men’s Basketball Returns for a New Season
After more than a year away, the Gateway Community College (GCC) Lions Men’s Basketball team returns to the court. The Lions, led by Head Coach Chazz McCarter, Assistant Coach Christian Cagle, and Assistant Coach Courtney Oblena, began their season at Roxbury Community College on Tuesday, November 9.
The 2021-2022 GCC Lions consist of a total of 11 players, varying in college playing experience:
- Anwaar-Saeed Francis, Forward, Criminal Justice
- Skyler Cooper, Center, Exercise Science
- Joel Toledo, Forward, Business Administration
- Javon Taylor, Guard/Forward, Sports Management
- Kyle Johnson, Guard, Undecided
- Aramis Lopez, Guard, Exercise Science
- Elijah Daniels, Forward, Undecided
- Terrance Green, Guard, Sports Management
- Titus Scruse, Forward, Undecided
- Joseph Johnson, Forward, Business Studies
- Antonio Brown, Guard, Undecided
On Tuesday, November 23, the Lions hosted their first home game of the season against Quinsiagmond Community College. All home games are played at the Wexler-Grant School located at 55 Foote Street, New Haven, CT. Admission to games and parking are free.
"Getting the Men's Basketball season rolling signifies yet another step on our journey as a community to get back to pre-covid levels of normalcy,” said Alfred Guante, Director of Student Activities. “I couldn't be prouder of the way my entire staff and colleagues came together to make this a reality with support from our leadership here at Gateway."
The regular season concludes on February 19, 2022, with an away game at Bunker Hill Community College. If the Lions qualify, the NJCAA Region XXI Tournament First Round will begin February 23.
All Gateway Community College COVID-19 protocols are adhered to and in place for spectators, basketball staff, and players.
To view the complete GCC Lions Men’s Basketball 2021-2022 schedule, visit www.gatewayct.edu/Athletics/Basketball.